Kelly's Directory 1937
Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, & Suffolk 1937
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridgeshire Collection.
Carlton-Cum-Willingham is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom station and 4.5 south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the hundred of Radfield, rural district of South Cambridgeshire, petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley and archdeaconary and diocese of Ely. The church of St.Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1600. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £282, including 58 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. M.C.Wilder B.D. and held since 1935 by the Rev. Percival Hampson Edwin Wilder B.A. of Pembroke Colledge, Oxford, who resides at Great Bradley rectory, Newmarket. There is a small benefaction, called "Brigg's Charity for the Poor" of 10s. yearly value, and Wright's charity of £2 15s. yearly, which is applied to educational purposes. There are two manors. C.F.Ryder esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor of Lopham's hall and Mrs. Cunningham-Reid are the principle land owners. The soil is various; sub-soil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres; the population in 1931 was 222. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, was amalgamated with this parish.
Willingham Green is a place in the parish.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Newmarket. West Wratting nearest M.O. & Brinkley nearest T. office.
Conveyance. - Motor omnibus service between Newmarket & Cambridge daily, except tues. & thurs
Commercial. Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
|Clayton, Jn.||* Carlton Grange (postal address Brinkley, Newmarket)||farmer|
|Driver, Horace||*Cocksedge Farm||farmer|
|Hullyer, Herbt.||*farm bailiff to C.F. Ryder esq. J.P. Lopham's Hall|
|Long, Char. Lawsell||*Church Farm. T N West Wratting 10||farmer|
|Rawlinson, Fredk.||Willingham Green (postal address, Brinkley, Newmarket)||farmer|
|Read, Kenneth||*Carlton hall||farmer|
|Carter, Fredk. Albt.||[[The Old Rose & Crown||Rose & Crown]] P.H.|
|Taylor, Harry||farmer & sub-postmaster|
|Wylie, Andrew||The Rectory||dog trainer|